1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gavi, Feb 26, 2014.

1. gavi

gavi New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    I built a 4 x 8 x 8 house with a 4 inch slope, I have outside nesting boxes 18 inches off the ground 4 feet long on both sides.
    My question now, how do I make the roost.
    How much head room will they need?
    How high and at what angle can they fly up to perch.
    Do I use 2 X 4's or 1 x 2's and which way do I turn them.

I read chickens like to be on the same level to roost, if that's the case I would like to have 8 foot of perch I think.
    Oh well any thoughts and or suggestions

2. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I use cut branches at different heights. The branches I use are at least 3" wide. The most dominant chickens will take the highest roost and the subs take the the lower roosts. If I was using cut lumber I wouldn't use less than 2x2. I keep the highest roost 18" from the ceiling.

3. HenOfTheHouse

HenOfTheHouse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2014
    I use a 2x4 for my chickens. We have a tiny coop about 5x2 and 3ft high. The perch is about one foot from the ceiling. It's also right in the middle the long way so as long as it's low enough than they'll find a way on to it.
    Hen Of The House

4. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I use 2x4 because parasites like mites hide in the bark of branches. For heavy breeds put the roosts 2-3 feet off the ground. For light breeds 5-6 is good. Allow a foot of head room. Remember to take some sandpaper and round off the edges of the 2x4s because chicken like a round surface to wrap there feet around.

5. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never had a mite problem and I've been using the same branches for at least 4 yrs. I guess if you never clean your coop you could have that problem.
    My L. Brahma and Gamefowl take the highest roost which is 5' off the ground and they are heavy breeds. My Leghorn does too and she is a light breed. Although they do get up there by using the lower roost.
    I always think 2x4s are uncomfortable for their feet cause the natural action of their feet while roosting is to curl or like you said "wrap there (their) feet around". I've got them in a few of my breeder coops and they're always messy with poop and is another thing I have to clean along with the 6 breeder coops, main coop and 3 brooders.

I like the look of the branches better too.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by