Roosting together?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Chop33, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Chop33

Chop33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Crofton, Kentucky
    I have 9 buff orpington chickens and wanting to add some turkeys. Is it ok if the roost together and are in the same pin?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have mine in with the chickens, and they are just fine. It's really a gamble though, because they can get a disease called "blackhead" from chickens......

The breeder I bought the turkeys from is in Ohio, and he told me he's been raising turkeys and chickens together for years and as had no problem. So I bought my first two poults this year....All is well so far.....

Sharon

3. Chop33

Chop33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Crofton, Kentucky
    What breed of turkeys did you get?

4. HickChick Wannabe

HickChick Wannabe Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    North Ridgeville, Ohio
    My chicks and turkey poults are so attached to each other that I feel bad about the fate of the turkeys... And the poults seem to be somewhat less hen-pecked by the adults than the chicks.

Fingers crossed on the blackhead issue. I was told that if they get it, they don't succumb until, oh... shortly before Thanksgiving. But it seemed worth trying just a coulple (ok, 3) and they're great fun so far!

5. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Originally I had my turkeys separated, but they also love the chickens [​IMG].

Now when you go in there at night there are 6 chicks, 3 ducks & 4 turkeys are cuddled together with Roo watching over top them from the roost!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by