roosting under the stars

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by davecash, Sep 22, 2007.

1. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    would it be bad of me to put a roost post outside for the chickens?

2. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    you will have a recipe for disaster. the raccoons skunks, owls fox coyote etc etc will have a good dinner. just my opinion. Are they going to be in a completely secure run? Wire dug down top on the run? it just sound tricky to me. Those predators are sly sly sly! Erinm

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Absolutely!!!
    If raccoons, and possums and coyotes don't get them, the owls will.
    During the day, you have to contend with birds of prey, cats and dogs and foxes.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as they are in secure run go ahead... mine all sleep outside year round. Only a few like it inside.

6. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I have a roost outside in the run, they like to all line up on it and sun themselves in the afternoon.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yeah, something like a "jungle gym" for them outside is fine. Just pile some stout branches so they can climb on them. But they should roost in the coop at night, shut up from nocturnal marauders.

8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I'm sitting here way past my bedtime because I had a pred get in to my outside pen last night. The coop is pretty secure but its still enough to make it tough to relax enough to sleep. Two of my dogs have gone out to do a perimeter check, my gun & flashlight is where I can get at it quickly.

If you decide to do this make your pen as secure as your chicken coop or you will be waking up to an awful sight in the morning.

BTW, until now I've never had a predator problem so it can occur at any time.

9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Remember your question about sleeping under the stars? Its been several days now, the coon(?) can not get in my coop but it has not given up.

This morning I found paw prints on the side of the building eight feet off the ground. It climbed the pen wire and tried to go in the soffit. From the ground it looks open but is sealed in the recess. Bugger tried to break in through there.

I had a light on out there last night, all it appeared to do was give it a better view. Guess the dogs & I need to make middle of the night strolls again.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Or set traps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by