Roosting??

mommy of two

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
My chicks are about 4 weeks old and my husband put a roost in the coop for them because they have been sleeping on their new nesting boxes and pooping in them! But they won't sleep on the roost! I don't know if it is too big around or if it isn't high enough off the ground? It is an inch and 3/8 round and about a foot off the ground. We put them on it and they can't seem to keep their balance! Any advice for 4 week old chick roost would be appreciated!!

That happened with my chicks, it took them awhile to get used to it but now they love it. At first they don't but after awhile they will get used to it, just keep putting them up on it. Also what is it made of? Wood is the best and anything else will probably be too slippery. Hope this helps, good luck with the chicks. :)

You may have better luck with a flatter roost. Chickens seem to prefer a flatter roost - they like to sit on and cover their feet while roosting - and you'll find that quite a few here use 2 x 4's with the wide side up as roosts for adults.

You obviously don't need anything as wide as that for these babies but I'd suggest you find something about 1 1/2 - 2 inches wide for them or a fairly fat tree limb with bark for texture and grasping.

Good luck!

Thank you! I heard something about having the wrong kind of roost can damage their breast bone, how can that happen?

Heavy breeds roosting on round roosts tend to have their weight slide back and the breast bone rests all night on the hard surface of the roost. That's why the recommendation of a semi flat roosts was mentioned, or at least a cut branch of proper size so the length of the foot remains half the circumference of the roost. Merely my opinion based on my experience. I prefer large, or standard breeds, so I like a 2 x 2 or 2 x 4 with the 2" side up. I take a sander or wood file and file down the corners and smooth them to make sure there aren't any splinters. I don't place them more than 2' off the floor, and use deep pine shavings (at least 6") to avoid bumble foot from jumping down off the roosts. A 1" firring strip should be fine with the corners sanded down for 4 week chicks. Go to a lumber yard and they'll show them to you.

Thank you so much! I am going to get that! I am tired of them pooping in their new nesting boxes! Goofy chickens! :)

Thank you so much! I am going to get that! I am tired of them pooping in their new nesting boxes! Goofy chickens!
smile.png

You're welcome. I have a Gold Sex Link hen who chooses to sleep in the nest box at night. I just clean it out every morning when I do a pick up under the roosts.

Back
Top Bottom