1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosts and feeders together?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickylou, Feb 20, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    OK, got another question.

I saw a picture in a chicken book and it seems they had chicken feeders right next to the roosts. Is this a good thing to do? I can understand that maybe it might be that the combination of roosting, eating and pooping all happens in and over one spot might be the purpose?

Where is the best place to put feeders and waterers in regards to their roosts? Do you put another area for litter under the feeder and waterer as well?

Thanks in Advance

2. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    My food and water have been here/there and everywhere as I search for a place that they do not poop on, and will not spill the water. I have a couple non-roosting silkeys in a box at night by there choice, which leaves me cleaning there bedroom weekly, and the poop board daily. Supplies have been close to the roost, and currently the food is in a corner close--and the water is off in the far corner due to power supply in the cold. The chickens seem not to care, but I do think they give me hell when things move or change. Stuff is knocked over as they fly from the roost in a limited space leaving corners. My assistant coop-keeper (aka wife) likes things close to the door as to not walk in the mess they make. I would think location is a who cares kind of thing. Mine are cooped till noon and in the run till dark with free access in and out. Should it snow they stay in all day, and when cold go in every so often. I have water outside when it is not freezing---likely not needed. They will find food and water in the open no problem. They seem to like spilling and making a mess and that determines location in my coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by