Roosts and nesting box help

LightAurora589

Chirping
Dec 31, 2021
Hello, I recently moved my little coop into my backyard for my chickens to sleep in, it was very limited due to the tools and wood I had and it is mainly for protection against cats and racoons since by hens got attacked earlier, it consist of a wood outside with a slanted roof with a steel do crate on the inside for double the protection, due to the number of annoying pests that might want to kill my hens when they have a nice night's rest I only ever thought about protection and also due to my experience I never thought about anything else other than that.

What should I do for a nesting box? I can't make it inside the coop due to size constraints. Also what is an easy way to make some roosting bars, I was worried about making any from scrapwood due to me being afraid that the birds would of course get splinters from the subpar wood, but am reluctent to buy wood due to how expensive it is.

Pictures.
We need pictures.
And exact dimensions.
You can get pallets for free and break them down for the 2x lumber for support members and the 1x lumber for sheathing. Then paint it with a good exterior grade paint.
I have plenty of pallets and a couple spare 2 by 4s would I need sand paper, I also have some sealer but no paint.

Roosts = branches are the most "free" option.

Nest boxes can be outside of the coop but 1) the birds must have access to them from the crack of daylight and 2) they need to be well protected from the climate. I used to use a small dog house as a nest box... not perfect but the eggs stayed dry at least.

after4.jpg

Roosts = branches are the most "free" option.

Nest boxes can be outside of the coop but 1) the birds must have access to them from the crack of daylight and 2) they need to be well protected from the climate. I used to use a small dog house as a nest box... not perfect but the eggs stayed dry at least.

View attachment 3092965
Thank you that does sound like a good idea, I have a spare animal carrier that I came across, that can do for now while I look for a larger nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom