roosts and windows

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stamper, May 10, 2009.

1. Stamper

Stamper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    My coop is coming along speedily (with some unexpected help) and I was standing inside it today daydreaming about my happy chickens and then I realized, I have no good place for a roost!

I put in lots of windows, low to the ground, because I wanted the ladies to have lots of good natural light and a nice view but it doesn't leave much roost space. I can build a roost, but it will be in front of one window or another and I was thinking that they preferred more privacy in their roosting space but I'm hoping someone could tell me that I am wrong...

Any advice?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have one roost along a window. No big deal.

Most fight for the spot in front of the window in the summer.

3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Yea, if you put a roost along a window, the chooks can enjoy the view while on the roost! They'll loooove it [​IMG] I'm sure!

4. motherbear

motherbear Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    CA Gold Country
    Our roosts face windows - so far no problems. They seem to enjoy it, and we cover them when it's windy.

5. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave my girls two options. I have one roost in front of a 60" x 24" window and the other roost on the back side of the coop away from the window. I have yet to put them in there but hopefully they will like one of there new roosts!
    [​IMG]

6. Stamper

Stamper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Great! Thanks everyone!

The windows are operable and double-pained so wind shouldn't be a problem. I guess I just have to hope that they enjoy the view [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by