Roosts-Flat vs Round (???)

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
Hello,

Why do some people believe in using 2x4s or other flat pieces of wood for roosts and others believe in using round pieces of wood? Without asking I can understand round, since that is more like a tree, but it seems like some people who are very "in the know" suggest using flat pieces. Anyone know why?

Thank you,
CJ

Flat pieces allow the birds to cuddle down over their toes in cold weather and keep them warm. I have both round and flat in my big coop and the birds seem to always prefer flat. I have flat roosts in all my bantam coops.

personal experience. mine would not roost regularly on round branch. changed to flat 2x4 and they started roosting.

supposedly chickens can't grasp like birds and they have to balance on the roost, hence they need the flat surface.

i think you will get opinions on both sides that say their opinion is best.

Our roosts are 2x2s with the edges sanded a bit to remove the sharpness, rounding them just slightly. That's mainly to prevent injury.

I got my roost done today for my 10 week old mix of girls ( buff Orp, barred rock, Easter egger, white leghorn, white silkie). Put a 2 x4 flat roost 5ft long and 3 1/2 ft high. I was excited all but the silkie were on it at bed time. she hasn't figured out the ramp yet to get inside the coop. Found her under he ramp sleeping by her self. That's a Whole different problem for a special needs Silkie
th.gif

I like a 2x4, flat side up, with gently rounded edges. I think it does help them keep their toes covered with their feathers when they hunch down while roosting. Our coop is below freezing in winter. Chickens can lose toes to frost bite.

A 2x4 is also extremely easy to clean with a sharp putty knife. I have a special tool for cleaning my parrot's perches made out of branches and it's still a hassle, compared to cleaning the chickens' roost. I like a clean roost and it's easy to give it a quick scrape anytime, with the putty knife hanging on the wall in the coop.

WoodlandWoman, I took a page from my 'other' bird book. My budgies have all sorts of different places to sit. Various sizes and shapes keep their feet flexible. That being said, there are round and square perches in the coop which I often move or replace. There are also branches collected from the yard. The girls like to rotate so you'll never see them in the same place twice. I made a 6' ladder out of 2X4's which they completely ignore. It sits under a bird feeder in the yard now.

Back
Top Bottom