Roosts for brahmas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by oliver520, Mar 4, 2013.

1. oliver520

oliver520 New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    West Lafayette Indiana
    I am building a coop for 10 light brahmas and was reading that these large birds cannot fly. Does anyone know how high I should put the roosting beams for them?

2. I have Buff Brahma Hen that is about 4 months old and I am concerned about both a roost for her and a laying box. She is already a big girl! Advice?

3. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    When I had LF light brahmas in the late 90's I put perches 2' off the ground. Often though they would just find a nice corner of the coop and sleep there or sleep in nesting boxes (I've long been a believer of the 5-gallon bucket on it's side filled with straw and modified so it doesn't roll away)

4. Thank you so much for the advice! I just love my big girl "Britches" and want her to be as comfortable and happy as possible! Seems so uncanny that they can fit into a 5 gallon container. I have beautiful antique nesting boxes for all my other hens, but she is never going to be able to get up to them or fit into them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by