Roosts for Muscovies?

lauralou

Crowing
16 Years
Dec 10, 2007
Central Virginia
I'm in the process of building a coop for my soon-to-arrive muscovies.

My question is: Should I use a 2X4 for the roost, like I do with my chickens? Or would the muscovies prefer a rounded roost, like a tree branch? If so, what (approximate) diameter should the roost be?

Any other muscovy-specific coop comments are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!

lauralou

Mine come in each evening and climb up the hay bales to sleep in them. They are much more agile than my Pekins that just sleep in loose hay on the ground in the barn. I have perches in the barn for the chickens but I have never seen my Scovies show any interest in them as they prefer sleeping in the hay bales.

Lots of replies! Cool!

Mine must come inside at night, if I have to carry them in myself. We are deep in the country, with lots of nocturnal predators. Sure, I think the run will be secure, but still...

It sounds like I'm overworried about the roosts. I'll put up a roost. They can sleep on it if they want to. I'm thinking fat tree branch, thick enough to handle their meaty little bodies.

Any other comments? I'm a first-timer with ducks of any sort. And totally appreciative of any advice!

I wouldn't count on them coming in at night...and carrying Muskovies...ouch! These are some tough ducks with very powerful wings and sharp claws. If predators are a problem in your area I would consider keeping them in a predator-proof run as well.

As far as the roosts- they'll make do and find what they need. I have one that roosts on the 2x4 rafters in my chicken coop and one that parks herself on the ground in a pile of loose straw.

I lock mine in a kennel type run for night because I am not giving a free dinner to any wild thing that passes through. As for roost - I have never seen my ducks roost. They like to settle down on the grass in a thick patch. But that isn't for long. My ducks and geese are very active at night.

Sorry to hi-jack
big_smile.png
! Will Muscovies walk up a ramp into a coop? I am hoping to find some somehow, somewhere!!! My coop is elevated 2 to 2.5. The run is secure so they are safe in there too. They can go under the coop to sleep if they prefer!

Michele

We have an elevated coop for our ducks. One little Khaki likes to go in the coop and preen, the other ducks completely ignore the coop. They sleep outside, even in this cold weather we're having. In the summer months, they would be swimming in their pond at 10 o'clock at night.

When we first put our ducks outside we would catch them and put them into the coop every night. After 2 weeks of doing this, I'd had enough. It stings quite a bit when they scratch you. So we reinforced our run and let them stay out all night. So far, so good. We are in the process of building them a windbreak/small shelter for them to get out of the wind.

Mine also like to sleep on hay. I scatter it in thick mounds and they burrow down and go to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom