Roosts for the coop

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
We currently have building the new coop on hold until we get some dry days but I wanted to ask about the type of roosts I want to put in the coop. The coop will be big enough to have a couple of roosts.

The type of roosts I want to put in are branches from one of our large trees in our backyard. The reason I want to put those in is because I want to give the chickens a more natural roost. Plus, they currently roost in the tree sometimes during the day anyway so I figured I'd use the branches from their favorite tree. There are a few branches in that tree that are so wide, the hens' feet don't curl around them all the way so I think it'll work.

I'll get a photo of the new coop to give an idea of what it'll look like but it's our old A-Frame swing set.

Has anyone done this?
Do you have photos of the branch roosts you put in?

I have used branches as roost forever. Not sure how well you can see in pix. 2 to 3 inch diameter branches are ideal. I leave bark on,,,,,, but do sand down any sharp or protruding knots. Don't want my hens to injure foot pad.
0311151441-01.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

View attachment 1993914

I picked out the straightest fallen branches I could find, approx 2" in diameter, and cut off any side branch buds and sanded down any rough spots. I left the bark intact as we haven't had any mite issues.

Mite issues are very common in western Europe. On a chicken forum in the Netherlands they say: you can be sure to get a mite infestation some day. You only don't know when. So be prepared and take control.

The wild bird spread the red mites. Chicken farms as well as private owners with just a few chickens all have to deal with mite at one point.

map mite infestations in Europe made by University in the Netherlands.
https://www.wur.nl/upload_mm/c/4/d/c33571b5-6cfb-48d7-aa3b-caa5678d0742_aantallen_vogelmijt.JPG

c33571b5-6cfb-48d7-aa3b-caa5678d0742_aantallen_vogelmijt.JPG

Last edited:
Mite issues are very common in western Europe. On a chicken forum in the Netherlands they say: you can be sure to get a mite infestation some day. You only don't know when. So be prepared and take control.

I don't doubt mites are a common problem although not sure on rates in the US. But *knocks on wood* we haven't had issues, so unless I see a need to take the step of de-barking all the branches (we have more in the run) or switching to cut lumber, I'm fine using branches with bark.

The wild bird spread the red mites. Chicken farms as well as private owners with just a few chickens all have to deal with mite at one point.

map mite infestations in Europe made by University in the Netherlands.
https://www.wur.nl/upload_mm/c/4/d/c33571b5-6cfb-48d7-aa3b-caa5678d0742_aantallen_vogelmijt.JPG

c33571b5-6cfb-48d7-aa3b-caa5678d0742_aantallen_vogelmijt.JPG
Looks like Denmark, Norway, and Sweden are doing HEAVY DUTY debarking.:thumbsup,,,,,,,,,,,,, with Belgium as a 4th:hmm

If you think you are in a high mite area, you can always take the roosts and rub DE into the bark. Think rosin on a baseball bat.
The red mite found a hiding place between the bark and the wood in my coop. It's not possible to get the DE in between.

It was interesting to see how many eggs the red bird mites can lay in such a place. But after looking I did throw the roost in the bin. Rather not let the eggs ripen.

That's why I don’t use roosts with bark anymore.

Back
Top Bottom