Roosts for tiny mixed flock?

Birdpants

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
San Francisco CA
Okay friends. If I have 2 eggers and 1-3 Seramas (quite possibly silked) raised together and all going into the same coop...uhhh how do I arrange roosts? I want everyone to have what they need where they need it, but I don’t want to dictate pecking order by roost arrangement. Do I put a 1-inch width roost (for Seramas) right next to a 2x2 roost for the eggers, all 18” up from floor bedding, with a ladder? Do I put the big roosts high and the little roosts low? Do I put a bunch of each width at different heights for them to choose?

I know I’m probably overthinking this....

Okay friends. If I have 2 eggers and 1-3 Seramas (quite possibly silked) raised together and all going into the same coop...uhhh how do I arrange roosts? I want everyone to have what they need where they need it, but I don’t want to dictate pecking order by roost arrangement. Do I put a 1-inch width roost (for Seramas) right next to a 2x2 roost for the eggers, all 18” up from floor bedding, with a ladder? Do I put the big roosts high and the little roosts low? Do I put a bunch of each width at different heights for them to choose?

I know I’m probably overthinking this....
I'd use one long 2x2 for everybody. And if you only want it 18" off of the floor you don't need the ladder. I'd be willing to bet the Seramas will fly up higher than the Easter Eggers.

I'd use one long 2x2 for everybody. And if you only want it 18" off of the floor you don't need the ladder. I'd be willing to bet the Seramas will fly up higher than the Easter Eggers.
Thank you! That’s exactly what I was gonna do but then I was worried the 2x2 would be too big for tiny Serama feet. Also yes Seramas are great fliers but these will probably be silked and thus I’m guessing not able to fly?

Back
Top Bottom