Roosts in shed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by worms7, Nov 10, 2016.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    I am having 2 roosts in my shed should i have them the same hight
    or on different levels
    Cheers Phil

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

Same height is best to me. I think it helps diminish fighting for the best spot, although there will still be a best spot.

All roosts are same height in my coop. And always higher than any roost spot in the run and the nesting boxes. [​IMG]

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My coop has roosts about 4 feet up, and rafters eight feet up. Many of my birds are up in the rafters! Given a choice, the dominant flock members want to be up as high as they can fly. I have a ladder roost in my juvenile section, and it does help broody raised chicks learn to roost. Otherwise, they only use the highest spots. Mary

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I like roosts at the same height...tho do have one roost lower in the chick raising area.
    Also have put up extra roosts that are lower when I had 3 age groups at same time.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Oh, I guess I do have lower roosts for when the new guys are integrating. And they hang out on them during the day as well.

And I blocked off my rafters because I didn't want them roosting where I can't get to them when I need to. Promise they would be up there though if given the chance! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by