Roosts in shed

worms7

Songster
May 22, 2015
england
I have a 8foot long shed 6ft wide
I will be having 8 birds will 2, 6 foot roosts do if i have them stagered or should i go for 1 8ft roost
Cheers phil

One of my sheds is 8x6, with the door being on one end of a long side. I have a roost on the same side as the door apx 6 feet long; another crosses it on the short end farthest from the door, so another 6' of roost there; and then lastly 8' running on the long side opposite the door. Many people say to stagger them but mine are all at the same height.

In either case, two 6' roosts should suffice. I just wanted to tell you an alternate set up, and you will be able to get closer to that short wall without roosts in your way. I have that issue in my larger coop where if I need to get to that back wall I have to step over the lower roost and then try to work between them without getting poo on me.

I would go with one roost about 30 inches off the ground about 18 inches from the wall.

8 feet is plenty of space for 8 birds.

My reasoning is if you put two in there then obviously one will be further out than the other and just in the way when it comes to cleaning time or the need to catch a chicken.

Is there always a pecking order in chickens even when you have 1 roost long enough for all birds
Cheers Phil

There is always a pecking order.

My experience over 40 plus years is there is less squabbling at roosting time with one roost. Most chickens want to get as high as they can so the lower birds in the pecking order try to get to the higher roost, the top birds don't want that to happen, they want the lower birds below them.

With the one perch it there will be some pecking but them seem to settle it quicker.

There is always a pecking order.

My experience over 40 plus years is there is less squabbling at roosting time with one roost.  Most chickens want to get as high as they can so the lower birds in the pecking order try to get to the higher roost, the top birds don't want that to happen, they want the lower birds below them.

With the one perch it there will be some pecking but them seem to settle it quicker.

Same here. I had two of my roosts perpendicular and one was a foot or so lower. I ended up raising it so they were even to cut down on the roost time squabbling.

Back
Top Bottom