Roosts...inside coop.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jolyn, May 11, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Does anyone have pictures of their roosts inside the coops? I am trying to figure out what the best way to do it is. We put round wood dowels about one inch thick and the other is about an inch and a half. However now i'm reading that that's not what we should have done. It sounds like they should be flat.....

Anyway i would love to see how you all have done yours.

Thanks,
    Jodie

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Here's the best pic I could find, took it a couple years ago. This one is just a ladder from an old playset. It has wooden dowels, which I prefer to the rectangular ones (they dont seem to like the rectangular ones).

[​IMG]

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
  4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Does the roost have to be round? Do they seem to like them rounded more or squared?

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Most people find that the wide side of a 2x4 works well...you can sand the edges if you like...[​IMG]

6. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:I love that ladder!!!!!

7. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks everyone!!!!!

I'd love to see more!

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Jolyn, When we moved into our house, there were quite a few of those ladders around here (we live on a 34 acre cherry orchard). I figured we could spare one on behalf of the chickens [​IMG]

9. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    Here is a pic of our roosts. WE went with flat rather then round. And the girls love them. They have closer together ones lower to the ground for them when they are still small and the ones up high for later on. (only one of the girls has been to the top yet) We used shelfing that DH ripped down to about 3 inches wide. I peeked in at them last night and all but 2 where on the lower roosts sleeping.

[​IMG]

(ignore the special needs cat in the coop lol)

And here is a pic prior to the girls moving in
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2008
  10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I used the wide side of a 2x4 and cut angles out of the entire length on both sides, so it's slightly "rounded."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by