roosts

dirt

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Just wondering

How high should I put my roosts off the ground, and how far from the celing. I don't have too much height to work with.

Also how far should I space the steps in my ladder thingy so the chicken can hop in and out of the coop.

Thanks

The best roosts I've seen have been at different heights. The higher on the totem pole the bird is, the higher it gets to roost.
The easiest way (IMO) to do that is make a "ladder" that leans up against the coop wall. The birds will hopscotch their way up to the height they like.

Here is a pic of my roosts. I notched the ends of the 2x3's to fit into the notches of the stringers.They are easily removable so I can scrape down the poo board in a jiffy. I usually clean off the poo board once a week whether I need to or not. I always seem to.

chickencoop008.jpg

Good luck with your roosts,

Chris

Make your roosts low enough to the ground that your heavier breeds will not injure themselves jumping down. Chickens may use a ladder to go up to the roosts, but they will jump down to get off. Mine are about 30 inches off the ground for my heavy layers. I have two parallel to each other at the same height, so they don't fight for the highest spot.

Odd question here. Do roosting bars have to be level? I bought a new coop and the two roosting bars are at an angle. Not a seriously drastic angle, but not level. Should I pull them out and level them?

Back
Top Bottom