1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I know many of you use 2x4's for roosts, so they are 2" wide I assume. Just wondering if they have to be that wide or will a smaller "diameter" work? I'm trying to make use of some scraps which are about 1" wide.

It never gets very cold in Arkansas so frostbitten toes isn't a concern of mine, but I do want my ladies to be comfortable.

My old neighbors free ranged and most of their birds roosted in trees, and my grandma's old hens had a board I think, kindof a ledge, so I'm really not too sure what they really need or like.

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    My roosts are about the same width as tree branches. about 1 inch wide.

they used to sleep on a cardboard box!

3. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    i sat back and read the posts and watched my birds as they grew trying to make a decision on the roost boards. though they are birds, the chicks preffer to sit flat on the roost compared to my parrots which never "sit" on a perch but grab and stand sometimes on one foot. the chicks would lay on the wide side of a 1 X 2 and hang their heads over. i decided to go with the wide side of a 2X4 for my roost.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The narrow side of a 2x4 is actually only 1-1/2 inched thick, so a true 1" thick board isn't that far off.

Not sure which size chickens you have. If they are bantams, I'd think 1" wide would work fine. They might be a little small for full-sized chickens, although I'm sure some people use them successfully. If you use a board, round the corners off as it is more comfortable for them.

I'm using some oak tree branches Mother Nature made available in our recent ice storm. I made them removable by drilling a hole in the end of the roost branches and in the supports and putting a large nail through. This will be handy when it is time to clean the coop. Also, the bark needs to come off as it gives mites a good place to hide and it is hard to treat for them with the bark on.

I agree you do not need the 2x4's flat. It does get cold enough here for frostbite if you don't have good ventilation to get rid of the humidity. I had 2 nights down into single digits this year. Not sure where you are in Arkansas, but you will see some weather cold enough to be a problem without decent ventilation. I also gave mine over 12" of roost area each as our summer nights can get a little steamy and they need to be able to spread out a little. Summertime is another good reason for good ventilation.

Good luck

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I ended up using a 1"x4" and putting it flat, because I have noticed that they have bad balance, little grip, and like to sit their booty down on the roost.

Hope they approve!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by