roosts

debbie bonanza

Hatching
10 Years
May 20, 2009
I was planning on using sanded down 2x4's for roosts but my father says I should only use cedar posts for roosts to keep mites off the chickens. Is this true??

It probably wouldnt hurt. But, as somebody who is currently in the mite extermination process, it is my understanding that if it is wood, and there are cracks, holes, knots, etc. that mites will hide out in it....

Thanks for the info. Are mites a big problems with chickens?
sad.png

Quote:
Well, depends on what you consider a problem. They are a fact of life, I'm learning in the chicken world. I'm a relative newbie to chickens and after reading up on mites, I discovered I have them.
barnie.gif

(I posted in the pests section)

Basically, I read if your coop is made of wood, You will have Red mites. As far as other mites, lice, etc... keep your coop clean, use DE or poultry dust and be observant.
ep.gif
By staying on top of things- you'lll be prepared.

Lisa

Quote:
Red mites tend to live in the coops crackes and crannies, walls, floors, perches and in the bedding. They live on your chickens at night, engourging themselves with blood. They can multiply tenfold in just over a week.

I believe DE is a good start to the coop and using it for dust bathing. However, it is not an instant eradicator in the Red Mite. Permethrin is used for removal/killing as it has residual activity for over 2 weeks.

I say this only based on what I have read. If there is someone who knows more or different, has an opinion, please let me know.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom