1. trooper

trooper Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I'm making ladder roosts for my coop.I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how high the bottom 1 should be off of the floor and what the distance is between steps.I have it tilted about 22 degree angle so that bottom chickens stay clean.Thanks My ceiling is 8 ft

2. Gardenpig

Gardenpig In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    OC
    i'd like to know this too. I am planning my first coop design right now and trying to figure everything out.

3. SouthernChick

SouthernChick Chirping

Nov 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I went 12" for every step so your first one would be 12".........it is also 4 feet wide they love it!

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I think I went 2' off the floor to start with but the bedding has gotten up high enough for it to be more like 6" at certain times of the year. I put the roosts about 18" to 2' apart because all I have in that coop are standard birds. Though my bantam Cochin kids come in all the time and hop right up to the top without any problem.

[​IMG]

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:See my BYC page for pics. I recommend you use a carriage bolt on the upper ends so you can pivot the whole ladder up and out of the way when cleaning/working inside the coop. Just be sure the top rung is far enough away from the wall to prevent the chickens from streaking the wall. (lesson learned, I had to remove the original top rung from the ladder assembly)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: