1. twindaddy43

twindaddy43 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    NE, OK
    So I am finishing my chicken coop and all I need to do is build the hen boxes and build my roosts. That being said I have 25 chicks and I was wondering how many laying boxes I need and how many feet of roost (ex. if I build them 5 ft long how many rows will I need)?

Thanks,

Twindad

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Its been awhile since I built any roosts but I seem to remember the figure of 9-10" per bird. If you can offer more than that, I would though, so they can choose to huddle together (in winter) or have a little space between them (in summer). As for laying boxes, most people figure 1 box per 4-6 hens. In reality though, they usually have "favorite" nest boxes and will queue up to use one even when another is sitting empty.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Agree.

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:I'd do a nest box per five birds. You'll probably find them only using about three of them. But that give them some choice. For perches, If you go with ten inches per bird thats 250 linear inches. Round down to 240 linear inches divide by twelve that's twenty linear feet. Or four perches at five feet long. I would do perches at the same height to help cutting down on jostling for the highest roost. With one intermediary to help them get up to roosting height. This way you can put them all a little closer together because no one would be pooping on any one else and you can hang a poop hammock underneath them all. (made of canvas or shade cloth grab the hanger poles and move the poo outside to the compost pile no raking or scrubbing.... Just hose it off if it needs to be cleaned)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=534564&p=1 see post number ten.

5. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

It seem they all want the same laying box, even if you have one for each of them.

6. twindaddy43

twindaddy43 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    NE, OK
    Thanks for the info I will probably build my roosts on the same level and just have a little ramp up to top as far as nesting boxes I will probably just have 6 and call it good.

7. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I have 2 roosts about 4 feet long in my coop for 5 chickens and then always huddle together on 1, even when it's hot.
    I have 2 nest boxes and they only use one.....go figure. I'm getting ready to add 5 more chickens and was going to
    expand a bit, but I'm going to hold off. If the second crew is like the first we will be all set. Good luck with your chickens.
    [​IMG]

8. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs

I have four girls, four feet of roost, two nest boxes, three layers, and all three choose to use the same one nest box. I keep a golf ball in each one to encourage the new layers to use either one. One golf ball is bright pink,the other is purple...(I work near a miniature golf course.) The girls like to keep me amazed by kicking the balls out of the nests, reversing which one goes in which box, so there are none in either box, or by putting both in one box. They clearly don't like my decorating ideas! Who knew they could be so opinionated?

mm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by