1. Terrik

Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    My husband is building me a new coop for my girls. What is the suggested height that a roost should be and do most people put the nesting boxes in the coop or outside in the chicken run? Oh, also what kid of boards do you feel are best to make the roosts out of. Dowels, 2x4 ect. Thanks for your imput!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    There's different opinions as far as what to make roosts from. Some prefer large branches but most use 2x4's. They can sit on them best if they're laid flat. Nest boxes go inside the coop because hens like privacy to lay.

3. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    We used 2x2s with the edges smoothed a bit. They are a little higher than 2 feet off of the floor, higher than the nesting boxes, which we have in the hen house. I'm not sure the height matters exactly, just tall enough that they can walk under them during the day and roost comfortably at night.

Our run has open sides (covered with hardware cloth) and the henhouse/coop is enclosed. We put the nesting boxes in the henhouse because it seems more "private" and protected- in other words, a good place to lay an egg.

4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi!

Our roost is about 4 feet high with a 2 inch diameter (we used an old wooden sailboat mast so it gets thinner at some points. We have a ladder with branches nailed to the steps so they can hop up if they chose - the Ameraucanas generally "fly" up. I've been reading alot about how the roost should be wide enough so that the bird can rest on top of their feet to keep them warm in the winter a 2" diameter was recommended. some people prefer a board vs a dowel for that reason.

Nesting boxes should be lower than the roost to prevent the birds from hanging out on top of them. Ours are inside the coop opposite the roost at about 2 feet high. I'm not sure it matters inside or out but again during the winter it will get pretty cold outdoors for those eggs, or just a thought, the risk of a predator snaching one up might increase.

5. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I lowered my roosts to 18" after discovering my heavy bodied birds got bumblefoot! This is a foot injury caused by jumping off high roosts. There are many threads here about bumblefoot.

My nest boxes are higher than the roosts, but there is no room above them for the birds to sit.

[​IMG]

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I used 1" x 3" on the flat. Gives them more surface area than a dowel so their body can cover their feet to keep them warm and gives them more balance. A 2" x 4" would work as well, maybe better. In my outdoor run area I have several natural branches, 2'' x 2" roosts, swings, etc... I call it the chicken jungle jim. Here is pics
    Erik

[​IMG] One of my many swinging chickens.

[​IMG] Different things to play on.

[​IMG] Bird bath in background...they love it.

7. Terrik

Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    Quote:I love the chicken jungle jim!!! What a great idea and the hens look like they enjoy it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by