Root Vegetables

Chicky Joy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
I read somewhere that for some reason or another chickens shouldn't be given root vegetables, or that they don't like them. What's the deal?

Mangel beets were a common feed for livestock 100 years ago. They are of the same species as table beets but grow much larger.

Beets are a low protein feed but high in calories. They were hung in coops during the Winter months as an important addition to the chicken's diets.

Steve

Of course, rhubarb is supposed to be poisonous, too. My neighbors' chickens mowed down their rhubarb and lived to tell the tale.
idunno.gif

digitS' :

Mangel beets were a common feed for livestock 100 years ago. They are of the same species as table beets but grow much larger.

Beets are a low protein feed but high in calories. They were hung in coops during the Winter months as an important addition to the chicken's diets.

Steve

You go Steve. I'd be mildly suprised to find that anyone but you and I knew this.
Turnips/rutabagas also suffice, and the greens of all of these can be fed as any other green outside of winter.​

Mine LOVE cooked carrots and potatoes. (DH boils taters like he is making dinner for the troops! Only so much I can consume...)

It's green potato peels that are not advised.

I can't think of any reason why root vegetables wouldn't be okay. But my chickens won't eat carrots unless they're cooked & soft (just a preference I guess).

Here's a handy list of do's and don'ts:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

My in-laws-to-be fed their chickens potato peels all the time, has done so for years, and claims to have never had a problem. My fiancee looked at me like I was crazy when I told him not to give any to the birds.
hu.gif

Does anyone know why you can't feed chickens citrus fruit? What's toxic in an orange. I have to admit that I did cut up an orange for the birds, with seemingly no side effects. They seemed to love it.

I've read that the oil in orange peel may cause testicular cancer in rats
ep.gif
but I have no idea if that correlates to any problems with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom