Root Vegetables

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicky Joy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    I read somewhere that for some reason or another chickens shouldn't be given root vegetables, or that they don't like them. What's the deal?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Raw potatoes are bad for chickens.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Mangel beets were a common feed for livestock 100 years ago. They are of the same species as table beets but grow much larger.

Beets are a low protein feed but high in calories. They were hung in coops during the Winter months as an important addition to the chicken's diets.

Steve

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Of course, rhubarb is supposed to be poisonous, too. My neighbors' chickens mowed down their rhubarb and lived to tell the tale.
    [​IMG]

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    digitS' :

Mangel beets were a common feed for livestock 100 years ago. They are of the same species as table beets but grow much larger.

Beets are a low protein feed but high in calories. They were hung in coops during the Winter months as an important addition to the chicken's diets.

Steve

You go Steve. I'd be mildly suprised to find that anyone but you and I knew this.
    Turnips/rutabagas also suffice, and the greens of all of these can be fed as any other green outside of winter.​

6. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    So, cooked potatoes are ok? What about carrots? Radishes?

7. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Mine LOVE cooked carrots and potatoes. (DH boils taters like he is making dinner for the troops! Only so much I can consume...)

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It's green potato peels that are not advised.

I can't think of any reason why root vegetables wouldn't be okay. But my chickens won't eat carrots unless they're cooked & soft (just a preference I guess).

9. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Here's a handy list of do's and don'ts:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

My in-laws-to-be fed their chickens potato peels all the time, has done so for years, and claims to have never had a problem. My fiancee looked at me like I was crazy when I told him not to give any to the birds. [​IMG]

Does anyone know why you can't feed chickens citrus fruit? What's toxic in an orange. I have to admit that I did cut up an orange for the birds, with seemingly no side effects. They seemed to love it.

10. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    I've read that the oil in orange peel may cause testicular cancer in rats [​IMG] but I have no idea if that correlates to any problems with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by