Rooters singing at all hours

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tudlytops, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tudlytops

tudlytops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2011
    Hiya! me again, sorry but found sometime to seat at the PC so I'm taking care of everything I can..[​IMG]

We have two rooters, lovely things, but they singing at all hours day and night, they are driving us nuts, chicken curry nuts at this stage lol

Because we have very irregular hours, they do not have a coop that we lock at night, because we may not come home until very late, so they have a big pen and a large coop and they themselves go in at dusk.

Anything we can do to quiet them down a bit?

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Chicken curry sounds great - then get some hens! If you only want eggs, you don't need roosters and all that noise. My opinion only![​IMG]

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    are they being disturbed, light, sound, even vibration will get them going. do you have a train nearby, a well travled road, street light with a tree nearby so the light flickers in the coop?

4. tudlytops

Feb 12, 2011
    Quote:Don't think so, we live pretty much in the middle of nowhere...there is wild life about though, Deer, foxes, pheasants, etc, could that be it?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    If you find a way to quiet down a chicken, let me know.

My neighbor came over a while back and said that he thought there was something wrong with my chickens becaus ethey were not just crowing in the morning. I laughed and appologized as I explained that is not the only time chickens get noisey. They do it all day long. I like the sound.

I don't think my neighbors do though [​IMG]

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:Don't think so, we live pretty much in the middle of nowhere...there is wild life about though, Deer, foxes, pheasants, etc, could that be it?

do you have owls? my roo's sing to high heaven when the owls are out, I have 35, a neigbors dog barking will do it

7. tudlytops

Feb 12, 2011
    Quote:Yes we do, in average we'll see one fly by 2/3 times a week.

8. korynskluckers

korynskluckers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Duanesburg, New York
    My daughter's 3 roosters will sound off any time of night when they hear something. When my husband gets home at midnight, off they go! If our dogs bark at something, even a fire siren, off they go!

9. tudlytops

Feb 12, 2011
    Quote:We'll just learn to live with it lol, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by