Rootin' lemongrass...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by OccamsTazer, Nov 7, 2009.

1. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    So awhile back I posted a tom ka kai soup recipe and we got into a discussion about storing lemongrass...I decided the best way to store it is alive in a pot. It is very expensive here, and I'd rather just have some in the garden!
    A few other people were trying the same thing, is anyone having any luck? Mine isn't rotting, but it isn't doing a whole lot either. I dipped the ends in rooting hormone and put two stalks in a pot of sandy soil. There are teeny little root hairs on the bottoms (yes I dug em up to look) but otherwise not much activity. Not sure if it's a slow grower or if I'm neglecting it somehow.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I started some from seed last spring. I tried to acclimate it, and then put it in the garden. Think it's a perennial?
    Anyway- it got fried after 2 days [​IMG]

I don't see why you couldn't bring it in and keep it in a sunny spot. I think it is a slow grower- especially for a grass.
    You're lucky to have found stalks!

3. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Start it in water first, move it to potting soil when it is well rooted.

Edit: Yes, it takes a while to get established. Also ... once you tranplant it to a pot, don't let it dry out. If it gets yellow and dormant, it can be hard to bring back.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by