Rootin' lemongrass...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by OccamsTazer, Nov 7, 2009.

1. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    So awhile back I posted a tom ka kai soup recipe and we got into a discussion about storing lemongrass...I decided the best way to store it is alive in a pot. It is very expensive here, and I'd rather just have some in the garden!
    A few other people were trying the same thing, is anyone having any luck? Mine isn't rotting, but it isn't doing a whole lot either. I dipped the ends in rooting hormone and put two stalks in a pot of sandy soil. There are teeny little root hairs on the bottoms (yes I dug em up to look) but otherwise not much activity. Not sure if it's a slow grower or if I'm neglecting it somehow.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I started some from seed last spring. I tried to acclimate it, and then put it in the garden. Think it's a perennial?
    Anyway- it got fried after 2 days [​IMG]

I don't see why you couldn't bring it in and keep it in a sunny spot. I think it is a slow grower- especially for a grass.
    You're lucky to have found stalks!

3. wombat

wombat Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    Start it in water first, move it to potting soil when it is well rooted.

Edit: Yes, it takes a while to get established. Also ... once you tranplant it to a pot, don't let it dry out. If it gets yellow and dormant, it can be hard to bring back.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by