Rope lighting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crc310, Oct 11, 2016.

1. crc310

crc310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    I live in MI (zone 5/6). I have a brand new strand of red rope light. Can I use the rope lighting in the nest boxes? I have a 10'x10' shed with large totes for nest boxes. Was thinking of running a loop into each one to keep eggs from freezing. Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I didn't know those rope lights put off any heat?? I'd always be worried...if it's warm enough to keep my eggs from freezing, is it hot enough to light my coop on fire?

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Usually they are LED, I believe. If it's cold enough for the eggs to freeze, I don't think they put out enough heat to make a difference. Heating pads on low might help but you will still want to collect them asap.

4. crc310

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    I've heard of ppl using them in incubators and under seedling pots so they produce some heat, not thinking it produces enough to catch fire (not hot to touch). Yeah, may not be hot enough though. What about this I found at TSC? Says pad [​IMG]can be used in nest area.

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Those look good and are the same price as the heating pads I use so if the size is right and the heat is adjustable that would work.

6. crc310

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    They may fight over the nest box to sleep in[​IMG] It's hard to collect them before they freeze on some cold winter days, esp when it -30 with wind chill[​IMG] We don't get to them until the evening. The cold wind blows right off the flat, empty crop land.

7. Daox13

Daox13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    Richmond va
    My Coop
    if you have a rooster and get the multi colored ones you may end up with a pimp shack for him, just add a disco ball [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is a link to my solution to frozen eggs.

It might offer you some ideas.

Heat the nesting boxes to stop eggs from freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by