Rope lights in chicken coop work great!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by imamtgrandma2, Oct 17, 2010.

1. imamtgrandma2

imamtgrandma2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    I will have to take a picture tomorrow night but the rope light works great in the chicken coop! It's a mellow kind of light and it's on a timer that turns on at dusk for 3 hours (I can set it for up to 8 hours after dusk).
    I made a hard cloth tube and fed the rope light through it and mounted it as high as possible. I don't think the Girls can get to it.
    It was an 18' light so the rest is wound around the coop..looks like Vegas around there now. Ought to be really pretty in the snow.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I cant wait to see a pic!

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    so do old christmas lights

4. imamtgrandma2

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    I can't have anything hanging down (like with Christmas lights) as the coop is very short and the Girls could peck at anything hanging down. That's why the rope light really works well in this situation.

5. KelleyMarie

KelleyMarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Rapid City
    What a great idea. I cant wait to see the pictures

6. perched

perched Out Of The Brooder

Great Idea!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  7. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    Quote:me, too, love it!

(I am planning to put the solar pathway lights on my runs. My kids broke many of the stakes, so they don't stick in the ground anymore, but figured I could attach them to fence posts.)

8. KelleyMarie

KelleyMarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Rapid City
    Quote:me, too, love it!

(I am planning to put the solar pathway lights on my runs. My kids broke many of the stakes, so they don't stick in the ground anymore, but figured I could attach them to fence posts.)

ah how cool is that! I can see my coop to be from the computer station here that would be very nice in winter to look out and see.

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I plan on buying some extra strands of LED lights on the post-holiday sales this year. [​IMG]

I think I have one or two extras in my Christmas boxes. They are coming out soon. I need just a touch of light in my bird room so that they don't go from total dark to total light. I could use a nightlight but I already "have" the Christmas lights. [​IMG]

10. imamtgrandma2

Apr 20, 2010
    5000' above Fresno, CA
    Here's the coop with the rope lights. As you can see there's not much room above where the Girls are at night. I'll post night pics tomorrow.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by