Rose "bush" was really a climber! Now what?!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by wallawu, Nov 1, 2016.

1. wallawu

wallawu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    I was given 3 rose "bushes" back in March and planted them in the front yard. One of them is definitely a Knockout and has bloomed and bushed out beautifully. The second basically shot straight up with two really thick stems covered in thorns and flowered at the top, maybe to reach more early sun? (the house faces north)

The third has just sprawled out like a firework, each stem arching over, green, about 4-5 feet long. We thought it may be a sun issue--we'd never seen a climbing variety not climbing on something. Now that I know it's a climbing rose I'd like to set up a trellis behind it/over it, but with the stems sprawled out all different directions, I didn't know the best way to handle it. I've heard any type of pruning in the fall can kill them because they need the nutrients. Any tips? Is this something that will just have to wait until we prune it next year?

Thanks in advance.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I'm not an expert but do have a few rose bushes. Here are my thoughts. This is what I did to some of mine. Placed trellis behind and used wire ties to fasten stems to where I wanted them placed. I do not do pruning, except dead branches. I have 4 knockouts. They grow well and following year some of the branches die back. No trellis on knockouts. A Jacobs Ladder grows in a different spot and I fasten its stems to a semi trellis also.(home made) It also dies back more than I would like it to. I also have a Queen Elizabeth that I will totally dig out and throw out. It went wild and grew like 7734 , but not ONE STINKEN BLOOM.. Have a few other miscellaneous roses as well.
    Did your climber bloom for you??? I also would not be afraid to prune anything I saw unnecessary.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. wallawu

wallawu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    Thanks! I guess it'll look goofy at first, but eventually it'll be nice. It didn't bloom at all, I think it's only "feeler" stems and not actually stems that have blooms. I just tie as many as I can to it and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by