Rose comb ALWAYS dominant?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muscovy94, Jul 28, 2011.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone a while back I hatched out a OEGB x silkie chick. He turned out to be a roo and he has light skin and a rose comb. I was wondering if I bred him to an OEGB hen, and kept breeding the offspring back to OEGBs if I could eventually produce some rose comb OEGB? Should any straight combs pop up, or should I always get rosecomb?
    Heres a pic of him when he was younger..
    [​IMG]

2. Doctim

Doctim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    North of Dallas, Texas
    Always and never are two words that should seldom be used... Even in genetics. Especially when you've mixed things up. I think just like when breeding to standard, hatch a bunch and work with the best of the lot. Sounds like an interesting project.

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    First, I don't think that's a rose comb, it appears to be walnut, though probably modified a bit because its carrying a copy for single comb from its OEG parent.

Second, you may be confusing how dominate/recessive works. Getting one copy of a dominate gene, like that of the dominate walnut comb of Silkies, means the offspring from a single combed OEG with the recessive single comb should all be walnut combed, but carrying a copy for single combs. When one of those is crossed back to an OEG, 50% will be walnut carrying a copy for single, and 50% will be single combed.

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    [​IMG]

5. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Also [​IMG]

6. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    me to [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Either the OEGB or the Silkie was not pure for comb type .
    Single comb (OEGB) + Walnut comb (Silkie) = Walnut comb not Rose comb.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by