rose comb buff orpington rooster/UPDATE PICTURES!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh_bigler, Aug 12, 2008.

1. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    alright, well i was in need of a rooster for my buff orps so i picked one up, well.. it has a rose comb and i was wondering if that means its mixed or something?? i searched but couldnt find anything about buff orps having a rose comb! and also when i hatch out buffs will they more than likely have rose combs??? stupid question im sure but i love stupid questions! lol

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Orps/BRKOrps.html

It's
    not a stupid question at all... Buff Orpintons do not have rose combs tho...they have single combs like these on the feathersite....Yours is a mix or maybe he had severe frostbite?...your chicks will not have the correct combs if its a rose or anything else but single...

3. josh_bigler

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    Quote:dang the luck, he's a beautiful roo, i will go out and take a pictures, he looks so pure though lol!

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It could be a buff wyandotte.

Jody

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Either a buff wyandotte or a buff wyandotte x buff orp cross. If a breeder had buff wyandottes but wanted to improve the color they could have used buff orps and gotten rose combed buff birds with white legs.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:That's what I was thinking.

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Good postings because I never thought of that Jody or Katy...or flying...lol

8. josh_bigler

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
  9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Except..we're not in the UK. The standard here is straight comb and I'd guess that is a cross because I'm pretty sure wyandottes have yellow skin.

Jody

10. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yup, no rose combs in the USA...and he does have a rose comb...wyandottes have yellow legs too..so I agree a cross...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by