Rose Comb question.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celtic Hill, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So i was wondering if Rose Comb is something that can be bred out over time, i know it's dominant, but im working on a project and the breed needs to be single combed but i really want it to be Dun Laced so i know i can get Wyandaottes in that and they also have the right shape too. I wasn't sure if though culling and breeding back to straight comb if i could eventually get a straight combed bird?

2. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:yes you will be able to, the F1 will be all rose combs if the Wyandotte is pure for the rose combed genes. The F2s should be half single half rose, so if you take the single combed F2s and breed them back to the single combed breed you will get all single combs.

3. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:yes you will be able to, the F1 will be all rose combs if the Wyandotte is pure for the rose combed genes. The F2s should be half single half rose, so if you take the single combed F2s and breed them back to the single combed breed you will get all single combs.

This is fantastic! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by