rose combed New Hampshires

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by phasianidae, Jan 4, 2011.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    do they exist?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:No,
    There only Single Combed.

In the U.K. they do have 3 color but there also all Single Combed.
    Auburn
    Auburn Blue Tail
    White
    http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=New_Hampshire

Chris

Is anyone working on them? They should not be to hard to create, someone could cross a NH with a rose combed RIR and then breed the rose combed offspring back to NH till they could be considered NH.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:No,
    There only Single Combed.

In the U.K. they do have 3 color but there also all Single Combed.
    Auburn
    Auburn Blue Tail
    White
    http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=New_Hampshire

Chris

Is anyone working on them? They should not be to hard to create, someone could cross a NH with a rose combed RIR and then breed the rose combed offspring back to NH till they could be considered NH.

Not if the standard dosnt call for them to be Rose Combed they wouldnt be considered NHs

5. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Is anyone working on them? They should not be to hard to create, someone could cross a NH with a rose combed RIR and then breed the rose combed offspring back to NH till they could be considered NH.

Not if the standard dosnt call for them to be Rose Combed they wouldnt be considered NHs

Sorry, I worded it wrong, I meat just till they were similar to NH

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Not if the standard dosnt call for them to be Rose Combed they wouldnt be considered NHs

Sorry, I worded it wrong, I meat just till they were similar to NH

True. Or crossing Buff Wyandottes with RIRs should give rose combed birds that looked similar to NHs. I have gotten a New Hampshire-ish color before from crossing a Buff Orp with RIRs so Buff Wyandottes should be the same and also give the rose combes. I have two nice looking Buff Wyandotte hens and friends that have exhibition type RIRs and I may get a roo from one of them sometime and breed him on those hens to see what I get after I get done hatching some eggs from them with a different rooster.

7. jrs10375

jrs10375 New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Though never recognized in either APA or ABA standard there was a rosecomb bantam new. Hampshire. They were as good as if not better then any of the single comb bantams too.
    Unfortunately they are all extinct now.

8. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I noticed the recent New Hampshire thread and recognize this is a question generated by the discussion.

Before embarking on such a project, I think you should consider what your goals and objectives would be. The result of this project wouldn't be a New Hampshire. Does that matter to you? If not, is your use of "New Hampshire" just convenience or is there something about New Hampshires that you want to be seen in the final result? You may find that, aside from looking like a New Hampshire (with a different comb), you can find the qualities you are looking for in an existing breed. (You also may find that the qualities you are looking for in a New Hampshire are harder to find than you expect -- the traditional meat qualities do not exist in many of the show lines of the few active breeders that exist.)

None of this is meant to suggest that you shouldn't experiment if you think it would be fun. But, if it's the end result rather than the experimenting that is of interest to you, you might be better served to look around for something that meets your desired qualities rather than trying to re-invent the chicken.

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I noticed the recent New Hampshire thread and recognize this is a question generated by the discussion.

Before embarking on such a project, I think you should consider what your goals and objectives would be. The result of this project wouldn't be a New Hampshire. Does that matter to you? If not, is your use of "New Hampshire" just convenience or is there something about New Hampshires that you want to be seen in the final result? You may find that, aside from looking like a New Hampshire (with a different comb), you can find the qualities you are looking for in an existing breed. (You also may find that the qualities you are looking for in a New Hampshire are harder to find than you expect -- the traditional meat qualities do not exist in many of the show lines of the few active breeders that exist.)

None of this is meant to suggest that you shouldn't experiment if you think it would be fun. But, if it's the end result rather than the experimenting that is of interest to you, you might be better served to look around for something that meets your desired qualities rather than trying to re-invent the chicken.

I believe he is mainly wanting a breed with a rose comb so it would fair better in cold wheather without getting frost bitten. He also posted about wanting a rose combed bird with the coloring of Speckled Sussex so I'm guessing he likes these colors and breeds, but wants them in a Rose Comb version ???? Correct ??????

10. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010

I believe he is mainly wanting a breed with a rose comb so it would fair better in cold wheather without getting frost bitten. He also posted about wanting a rose combed bird with the coloring of Speckled Sussex so I'm guessing he likes these colors and breeds, but wants them in a Rose Comb version ???? Correct ??????

Yup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by