rose combs are making me crazy!!! * PICS added...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ebonykawai, May 7, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG, does anyone else have rose combs and how, pray tell, can you tell the difference between the males and females?????? :thun

My younger bunch is a month old and I still have absolutely no clue whatsoever. I couldn't go by feathering this time because they all feathered out at about the same rate. Their legs all look about the same. I'm hoping I've gotten SUPER lucky again and picked out all girls, but I have my doubts. Having luck twice in a row doesn't usually happen over here sans a good draught of Felix Felicitous.

At what age do you start seeing a difference in combs for rose comb chicks? When do they start growing and turning red for the males?? Gah, this is driving me crazy. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  2. ebonykawai

Hasn't anyone else raised rose comb chicks?

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I have 2 three week old SLWs. The bigger one's comb is still flat but getting really red and it is developing wattles already, so I'm guessing my she is a he! The other one is smaller and the comb is still yellowish and her coloring is different--blacker with more defined lacing. They almost look like different breeds.

4. Azure

Azure Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    UK
    We have rosecombs and tell the sex by their tails, the pullets form quicker and are longer at first, also the males do have longer wattles, but to be honest we have had cockerels with no wattles and short tails lol that then lay an egg, try their personality and behaviour too because on some rosecombs it is very difficult to tell until later.

5. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Yep, the little SLW's tail feathers are definitely longer! Well, at least I don't have to rename Henrietta! [​IMG]

6. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I have 5 SLWs, and the males developed bigger, much redder combs by 3-4 weeks. The girls combs are still mostly grey at about 8 weeks. The boys didn't develop any tail feathers until just recently. The boys are also more friendly, but I don't know if that is sex-related or not.

7. ebonykawai

Oh, excellent, thank you all for your help!! My RC RIRs are a month old and there is no red in their combs yet at all. I tried to choose females by going with feathering and legs, and so picked out the 5 I kept after my hatch, but it was tough. Maybe I did OK. My SC RIRs were simple to tell sex by 3 weeks. These really made me a bit crazy.

Thanks again, I so appreciate this! I know nothing about rose comb development.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  8. ebonykawai

Another question. When the combs start to turn red, is there an area that starts first? Like the end of it near the beak or the opposite end on top of the head?

9. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:Mine was pretty much the whole comb area at the same time. The wattles started developing a few days after that.

10. ebonykawai

Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by