rose from florist growing?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by coonhoundmama87, Mar 5, 2015.

1. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Noticed today that a rose my lovely DH got me for valentines day seems to be growing. The flower is starting to wilt but the leaves are growing on the stem. I don't see any root growth. I changed the water. Will this grow or is it a fluke? Thought it'd be neat if it actually grew and I could plant it. Thanks for any responses :)

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you are in a wet season right now stick it in the ground!

I have snipped off branches from my roses and just stuck them in the ground with no Rutone or anything during the rainy spring season, and they grew!

If you have some rooting hormone that would be good to put on there. Water it frequently if you are dry out there now to give it a chance.

3. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Sadly I'm presently froze solid here. I heard once sticking cuttings in a potato will help them root? I can grow it indoors until we thaw out. If we thaw out lol

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Interesting. My husband's late grand father had a reputation of being able to make any thing grow. Rumor has it that he would often root rose cuttings in a vase full of water. I find that often the only things that freely root for me that way are the very ones that I don't want to propagate. Though, I am getting better with geraniums. I've rooted a lot of my citronella cuttings.

5. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I tried rooting my geranium, didn't go well sadly. My grandma used to be able to make anything grow too I swear. She had a zillion plants from cuttings. I inherited a Christmas cactus and thanksgiving cactus when she passed. She must started them not long before, they weren't very big. I had to repot them last year. They're doing so well. I hope to one day start more plants from them so hers live forever :)
    I talked to my mom today and she said that if this grows it might not ever flower since it might be a weird hybrid. Any idea if that's true?

6. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2015
    I have rooted many roses and it is a fairly easy thing to do. Don't let the root end dry out.

The bottom of the stem where the root will grow should form a lump (or callus) and the root should come out of that swelling.

Florist roses present one problem however....they have weak root systems and should be grafted to a hardy rootstock.

1 person likes this.
  7. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin

It still has a flower, should I clip that off or let it finish? I'll keep in water, didn't notice a bump on tthe end or anything. I've got a really hardy rose bush outside right now that I dug up when my mom moved. Its from my other grandma's house. Its obviously dormant right now but that could be a grafting option I'd think. Otherwise there's some other roses that grow by our house but they aren't very stemmy, more bushy. I don't care much for them, they are weak and spread too much. Do love roses though, maybe I'll have to start learning more and grow more kinds, atleast nothing kills them since they're thorny lol. Even when my sheep get out they've never touched them :)

8. politicalcenter

Feb 10, 2015
    Always cut the flower off when rooting roses because the flower will take energy the plant needs to form roots.

Older varieties of roses are the best for propagation because they grow on their own rootstock. You can find information on them almost anywhere. I usually root them in a mixture of half course sand and peat moss. I also use a small pot and leave them alone till I can pick the pot up and see the roots coming out of the bottom. Oh yea...a little bottom heat seems to help.

Good luck ! It can be a source of satisfaction.

1 person likes this.
  9. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    How do you graft the rose onto the existing bush? I am so happy I noticed this topic because today my Mom realized a rose cutting we have is growing as well! It would be extremely special for us to get this to grow because it is from a flower arrangement at my Aunt's funeral. She was a very amazing lady and we really hope we can grow this beautiful rose in memory of her. [​IMG]

Should we start with a fresh cut on the end of the stem before we graft? The bottom is a bit 'goopy' so we are not sure if it would be better fresh.

10. politicalcenter

Feb 10, 2015
    Quote:A nbut is usually used to graft roses and they are usually grafted to a wild rose rootstock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by