Rose leaves: Who eats them?

Moonwalker

Songster
12 Years
Jan 9, 2008
Washburn, MO
No, not me!
But my cats go nuts over them. Seems that DH DID actually remember that today is Valentine's day and had a dozen long-stemmed roses delivered. (the delivery lady called from the mailbox and asked if the dog would eat her!)
Anyway, I trimmed them up to put in the vase and my cats are eating the leaves I trimmed off! I know rose hips are beneficial and rose petals are used for cream, oils and scents, but they actually eat the leaves. Not the first time either. I have to put the vase on a highboy in the bedroom they can't jump up on.
Anybody else's critters eat the roses?
image0044.gif

Happy St. Valentine's Day to everyone, especially those who are not feeling too good!
ATT545606916.jpg

given all the stuff roses tend to be sprayed with, I'd personally keep the leaves out of the cats, even if the leaves have been prettied up for sale.

Congrats on having a thoughtful husband though
smile.png

Pat

My ducks will strip a rose bush clean in mintues... they are wicked fast. I think it's because they grab big chunks off while the chickens take longer peckin bits off at a time.

Julie
big_smile.png

Don't worry, I don't LET them eat them! Never know what they have been sprayed with, although these days most of it is non-toxic on the outside, what they may have absorbed while growing is another story.
THAT is why my flower arrangements end up crammed onto the back corner of the highboy with no other furniture near enough to jump from.

WOW prissy I have heard of sugared rose petals but never seen any. How do you do that and what kind of roses do you use????

If my goats get to the bushes they strip them clean! I can't have any in the house, the cat eats them and then goes and gets sick. I love roses....I just have to look at a distance
hmm.png

My cats wille at just about anything as far as plants go! We really have to be careful with them! Most of the plants aren't harmful, but the cats sure do harm to the plants. I've lost many a pretty plant to the stomach of my cat.

I now have 11 long-stemmed roses!
Apparently while I was out making the run to the dump (and left the vase of roses on the dryer,) one of the cats got one out and down on the floor. The dog ate the whole thing! I saw her with something in her mouth and made her show it to me (good thing to teach your dog) and it was a rose petal. I went over and counted and sure enough, only 11. GRRR! They are now safely ensconced on the highboy, out of reach.

Back
Top Bottom