Rose of sharons

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by can you hear me now?, Jul 5, 2008.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have planted 6 rose of sharons this year. They are getting ready to flower because i can see the buds but when can I expect to see the flowers? My wife is chomping at the bit, she can't wait to see how big of a hit they are with the hummingbirds.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats interesting......i have 2 and i never noticed hummingbirds at them. I have found them to be very sensitive but it might be that i live too far north. I will be intested to find out if you have hummingbirds at yours.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    We had some when we lived in TN. We never had hummingbirds at ours. We had the purple mostly and one set that was half purple and half white and it looked like a tree. We had so many suckers/sprouts of them when we bought the place that we dug them up and made a hedge between us and the neighbors.

4. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    sorry to hear about the lack of hummingbirds at yours. I have seen them at my friends house at thiers back when I lived in Northwest Indiana. Have been told they love em here in Missouri and then was offered some for free. All we had to do was dig em up. These are the purple ones as well.

5. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I'm in Arkansas, and mine have been in bloom for a little while, now, and as a matter of fact, are dropping blossoms like mad right now.

6. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    That's great, I will let her know. I am sure she will be exstatic. Thank you for the reply.

7. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I'm in Zone 7b, if that helps!

8. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    yes it does. thank you again. I know they are about to bloom anytime. they are full of buds.

9. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Unfortunatly my rose of sharons aren't a hit with the hummingbirds but the japanese beetles love them. More than the raspberries, more than the hummingbird garden flowers, its really annoying. I have to go out and shake the branches and sometimes I squish a few [​IMG].

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Mine dont even have buds yet way up here [​IMG] I guess i am lucky they even grow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by