Rose or Rocky? ( 3 pictures )

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FisherMOM, Jun 15, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I have looked and researched pictures in this forum and am still undecided.

Rose is supposed to be a pullet... we bought pullets, but Mango has proved that that means nothing. He is a Cornish X and a rooster to boot. 2 things that he was NOT supposed to be!

So.. what do you think about Rose? Rose is 7 weeks old
    I just took these minutes ago. Woke them up to do it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd say Rocky. I have a seven week old RIR cockerel who has similar comb development.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree with speckled. My 8wk old RIRs don't have comb or wattle development near that. They just barely have any wattles you can see and their combs really haven't changed at all.

4. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I'd go with Rocky too...

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i almost said rose! before i saw he was only 7 weeks old. i was going by feather development contrasted to comb development... but now im gonna say rocky.

6. RayP

RayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Gainesville Florida
    I have 5 RIR pullets 8 weeks old and none of them have comps like that, I say Rocky

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Rocky

8. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Thanks peeps..
    and oh poo.... that is what I was afraid of. our 3 pullets have ended up being 1 pullet and 2 roos.

At least Mango's name could stay the same.

Tell me then... if he is 7 weeks old and Mango is crowing, why isn't Rocky crowing yet? Do they all go through puberty at different times?

Also... if Rose ends up being Rocky (which is what I think too)
    Will I be able to have a peacefull pen?

I have Rusty ( a year old roo whom is quite cocky towards Mango already), then Mango and Rose (Rocky) that are almost a year younger. Does this mean that my coop plans need to change? I will not kill any of the roosters.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  9. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I am guessing at Rose's age.... but It is either 7 or 8 weeks. Sounds as though that makes no difference.

10. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I'd say Rocky.

Do you have more pullets than just the 2 you mentioned in your post? i would think with three roos you need to rethink housing,, or get a lot more hens!

you could try rehoming the roos....I've had great luck with this, rehomed 12 roos so far into farm/home environs. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by