Rosebomb breeding stock **Hey Urban Coyote:)**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Msbear, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Ok, so after some chatting with UrbanCoyote, who has some beautiful rosecombs, I've decided which two to keep as breeders. This means unloading another cockeral and possibly my exsisting roo:( I don't have a lot of room and the neighbors are tolerating my daily crow-offs as it is...don't want to push it.

Here is the hen
    [​IMG]

Here is the new roo. Hopefully he'll be the main man in a couple months so I can get some nicer chicks in the spring.

[​IMG]

What do y'all think? I know I have a way to go, but I believe it's a decent start. I feel a bit bad for even considering getting rid of the roo, but Im trying to think of what's best for my flock and this cockeral holds his tail much higher and his lobes are looking like they may be more round than my exsisting roo below
    [​IMG]

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful birds. I especially like the hen, but I'm not to fond of either of the roos. The new one IS an improvement, but his tail still isn't half what it should be... Have you tried contacting people in the rosecomb club? I'm sure you could find a nice breeder quality rooster from someone.

But, this is a decent start if you don't want to start off with a better roo. [​IMG]

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    They look like a great start. The cockerel that you are going to keep, he is still young correct? Looks like he has some growing to do. But the way he holds his tail is so much closer to correct than the current rooster.

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I agree with you both. And, yes, he is only 3 months old so Im hoping his tail will feather out a lot more. I would love to get a top notch roo from Rick Hare (already thought about it) but this partcular strain is special to me so Im going to try with what I have.

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OH he's only 3 months old? then I can't wait to see what he looks like when he's around 6 months old! [​IMG] Probably much prettier, his tail will only improve.

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanks, I know Im doing the right thing for the flock but Im feeling a bit bad getting rid of my roo. I guess I'll post him on the buy/sell/trade section and see if someone would like to give him a home...[​IMG]

7. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I think you have a good start to your flock [​IMG]

Can you keep both roos? Or is it going to be too much for the neighbours?

The hen looks pretty good. Her tail angle is a bit high, but she also looks like she may be holding it a bit higher than she normally does. The sweep from the back to the tail is very nice though, there is no harsh break between the back and tail and that's a great thing. She also looks like she has a very nice round ear lobe and correct comb. She does have to get her tail open a bit more though. I would look for that in the chicks when they hatch, hens and roos that fan their tails out a lot. It's kind of funny that tail fanning thing. Some of my birds only do it so-so in the coop, but as soon as they hit the show they fan their tails out a huge amount.

The roo is really young but his ear lobes look like they are on the right track to being very nice. His comb is also excellent and he has very good shine in his feathers already with good feather width for such a young fella. He looks like he'll be an excellent breeder and show bird.

You're definitely on the right track with both of them [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Urban Coyote

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I know what you mean about the fanning. Whenever I pick her up or when she's running from her man:), the fan goes up

I think Im keeping him and will stick him with a blue hen and put them in a separate pen. It may be a bit much for our neighbors but no one has complained yet [​IMG] so maybe Im paranoid. I keep them in their coops til 8:30 or so to inhibit the early morning crow-offs.

Thanks coyote, Im feeling much better about these birds.

9. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what can I improve on this hen? I am hoping to get Msbear's other cockeral soon after we get home from Florida. [​IMG]

I can upload more pics if it will help more:
    [​IMG]

Here's Buckshot... unfortunately he disappeared around three weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Hi silkiequeen [​IMG] No Problemo, nice to see you or hear from you [​IMG] Buckshot is beautiful...What a shame! The cockeral I have will improve your hen. His momma is the one Im keeping (pictured above) and you will love him. He is the most lovable of all of my chickens. He follows me around and hops up on my leg for pets!! ....then crowds me and wants to nip my toes...hahahha He thinks Im his hen! I wish I could keep them all [​IMG] but Im trying to stay focussed.

I still haven't made up my mind if Im keeping Sgt. Pepper or not. If you had a place where he could be kept safe from other roos, I'd consider unloading him but I did want to tell you that the young cockeral was crossed with an excellent hen which will give him much better proportions and higher tail carrage than Sgt. Pepper. Personally, I believe, he will make a finer example of a rosecomb.

Maybe Coyote will jump in and give you a more expert opinion on your hen.

Have fun on vaca and give me a holler when you get back.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by