Rosecomb Phoenix, whatever they lay...

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by wclawrence, Aug 9, 2008.

1. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three Rosecomb Phoenix hens and one rooster. These are breeders that I am going to raise from a little later in the fall. I dont know how many eggs there will be but there are almost a dozen now. Eggs are $15/dozen. You can get
    1 dozen for $18
    1 1/2 dzn for $24
    2 dozen for for 30

Shipping is $12 extra
    I take paypal.

Other eggs available at times as well.

2. wclawrence

Thought I would add a few pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    Hello,
    I have rosecomb Phoenix also. I think we talked about that before. Do you ever get any single comb phoenix hatch from your rosecombs? I have hatched out a couple of single comb babies from my rosecombs.

Where are you located? I believe you said you were somewhere in Tennessee. I am going to be getting rid of some of my phoenix here sometime soon so if your not too far away from me maybe I could get you some for new bloodlines.

I need to get some good pics of mine and maybe I can post them on here for you.

Jayare

4. Jayare's Chicks

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I forgot to mention that my adult phoenix is 1 gold hen, 2 silver hens and 1 gold roo. I hatched out a gold/silver cross about a month and a half ago and it is a little cockerel and is learning to crow now. I have about 3 or 4 little gold pullets and I got a silver baby also. I have about 2 or 3 others that hatched out recently that I don't know what color they will be yet.

I can tell the difference between my gold and silver eggs so I had mostly been just hatching the gold ones.

Jayare

edited for spelling errors

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  5. wclawrence

I don't remember talking about them unless you actually called me. One guy called looking for them a few months back but I haven't heard from him since.

I do still get straight combed birds, but all mine are Red. I have the original Rosecomb rooster and several of his daughters from different hens.

How were your R.C. Phoenix made? I mean did you make them yourself or what, and what breeds went in to develop them.

My rooster is from a few related birds that are almost pure Phoenix with a little (1/8) Green Junglefowl. The RC birds just popped up out of the blue.
    My RC Phoenix need some more work (although only a little) in getting the lobes a crisper white, and adding leg length as well as a tad more tail length. These birds are only a stop on the way to something bigger for me, so if you someone wants them they better get them before they change into something else. Next year they will have FM and Peacomb added and will look different.

I also have a few buttercup phoenix and one with a V-comb just like the Le Fleche.

I am overloaded with birds right now, though. I am not quite ready to hatch any more at this time and would rather get someone else new into these nice longtail fowl.

We need to see pics of your birds, Jayare!

6. Jayare's Chicks

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    A few months back I posted some pics of my broody gold phoenix hen and some chicks that hatched and you noticed the rose combs and asked me where I got them and said you thought you were the only one with rose comb phoenix. I got mine from a lady down in Tupelo when I got my very first ever chickens back in October last year. She gets eggs from all over the place and hatches them and sells what hatches, so I have no idea where these came from.

I'll try to see if I can post an old pic here if I can remember my password to my photobucket account. I'll still try and take some new pics also this week.

Jayare

7. Jayare's Chicks

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    Here are some old pics of my Phoenix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jayare

8. wclawrence

Those are nice looking birds! I bet he gets a really long nice full tail, too!
    I like that he has wide feathers in his tail and plenty of them, too.
    It is very possible that someone bought eggs from me and sold what hatched, but the more I look at your birds the less I think they came from here.
    Yours are a little smaller than mine, and not exactly colored the same. I am also still sorting out some white legged birds.

Do you have any plans to show those birds?
    I don't know what all has to happen to get a new variety recognized, but I think if people bring them to shows and enter them that they will catch on pretty quickly.

9. Jayare's Chicks

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I have thought about entering my Roo (Fawks) at the state fair here at the end of the month but I don't know anything about it. That pic above of Fawks was taken a couple weeks after him and one of my RIR roos kept getting into it and fighting to see who the Alfa Male was when I had them all in the same coop and he had lost most of his hackle feathers and they had started comming back then when the pic was taken.

I want to see what my other little cockerel is going to look like. He is a cross between that Gold roo and a Silver hen. I got to see and hear him trying to crow last week while I was setting out on a bench by the coop they were in watching them. The little ones are about 2 months old.

I am actually mulling it over on getting rid of all my Phoenix and just working with my RIR's, Ameracuanas & EE's. And of course the Ducks, Guineas and Turkeys I have also.

Jayare

10. wclawrence

If I wasn't so overloaded with birds I would see about getting some of yours. Someone wanting to get into something rare and beautiful could get a long way with some birds from each of us, but it seems like we are both too busy with other things to finish this project. (yours seem to be finished, according to how he feathers out, I think he will look great. Mine still come with white legs occasionally.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by