1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rosecomb Rhode Island Reds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PepsNick, May 8, 2011.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    The Heritage RIR Site, and RIR Breed Thread don't seem to have many photos of Rosecomb RIR. Would love to see more pictures of them, and discussion, specifically for these.

Something that I was wondering is if anyone has hatched Rosecomb Rhodels? Meaning, a cross between Delaware and Rosecomb RIR. From what I understand, Rosecomb is a dominant trait to single comb, so offspring would be Rhodels with Rosecombs.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I don't know too many people with Rose Comb Reds, and even fewer are on BYC. [​IMG]
    I have both Single and Rose Comb Reds in large fowl and will be getting some good Single Comb Red bantams here soon.

Chris

3. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Ive got a friend who has some but I dont have pics. I love the color of these birds when they have the true mahogany on them. He doesnt sell many but raises a few each year and they are beautifull.

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

5. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Your birds are outstandingly beautiful. I believe I read somewhere the heritage RIR pullets don't lay for 11 months or so. Did you find this to be true?

6. shelleyb1969

Quote:Is this post directed to me? [​IMG]

7. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Yes. I'm sorry, Shellyb.

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    The mahogany IS beautiful!

I had no idea about the 11 month thing. I know that they are decent layers. Really? I have been reading about them and had no idea.

Shelly, where did you get yours? I am looking for a place to get some eggs from.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  9. shelleyb1969

Quote:I've never had a hen to start laying before 9 months of age. But they are very good layers once they start. They're well worth the wait. [​IMG]

And thank you for the compliment! [​IMG]

10. shelleyb1969

Quote:My breeders are a couple of different generations of Dick Horstman stock. This is my first year selling eggs from them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by