rosecombs... what to do now...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gumbii, Mar 16, 2011.

1. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i had this isabel roo and i ended up getting a wheaton OEGB with a rosecomb from a friend for free... so i guess all of his chicks born with him/her came out to be rose combs... sigh... she was a blue wheaton, and i wanted to breed back the hens to him and maybe get some more isabels... but, if they are rosecomb... is it just going to give me more rosecombs...? or is it easy to breed out...? or am i just waisting my time with them, and cull them out on craigslist or something..?

also, my neighbor has a rosecomb hen... OMG, and i didn't know until i hatched them... all of his chicks came out rose comb too... sucks...

thx for reading...

2. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    oh yeah..? thx...

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    What breed is the Isabel roo ? And your goal is more chicks single Combed chicks like this roo then correct ?

Rose comb is a simple Dominant gene and would be easy to breed out if breeding to Single Combs

Pure Rose X Single = Herterozygous Rose ( likes mostly like rose but has one copy of rose and one copy of single)

Het Rose X back to singe = Half Het Rose and Half pure Singles

So once you are getting Singles again and breed Single to Single, then it will breed true and you have breed the rose comb out.

So breed your Het. Rose combed F1 pullets back to the single combed Isabel roo and half of the chicks will be single combed.

4. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:yes... but my hen was rosecomb and the rooster wasn't... they're both OEGB's... but he's an isabel roo, and she's a blue wheaton... i wanted to breed the black hens back to him, but all of them that hatched out came out rose comb... 100% of them... weird... does that mean my isabel roo is... sigh... het for rose...?

that sucks... that means i'm not going to do what i want to do with him... right...? oh well... i'll just have to make more isabels the old fashioned way with my lavenders and gold duckwings or something...

thx for the info...

5. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    If they have one copy of the rose comb gene, they will look rose comb. So if both of your roos have single combs, they do not have a RC gene and aren't passing it on to their young.

ETA: looks like you're just getting the one rose comb gene from the mother, so they all look rose comb but are heterozygous (Rr) so if you breed them back to a single combed rooster, half of the offspring would be rose comb and half would be single-combed, but even the rose comb looking ones only have one copy of the rose comb gene.

It's much easier to get rid of a simple dominant trait like a rose comb because you will always see it - it's not like a recessive gene that will hide for several generations and then pop back up.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep, Dont freak out, just like WallTenters said, simple dominant genes are easy to breed out because they cant hide like recessive genes, once you dont see them anymore, then you know they have been bred out.

Your results are typical though like I said if your roo was pure single comed and the hen was pure rose comed, then you would get all 100% rose combed chicks, but they only have one copy of Rose comb, and thats what you said you got. So breed the hens of those back to your SC roo and you will get more single combs as half of the offspring should be pure single combed.

What color are the chicks though, You say your roo is Isabel, So this is Duckwing Isabal aka Lav diluted BBRed ???? And your bred him to Blue Wheaten hen ? Then you should have gotten regular BBReds and Blue Reds, all carrying one copy of lav. But you said you wanted to breed the black pullets back to him and you shouldnt have gotten black pullets, unless you mean black patterned as in regular BBRed colored ones ????

7. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:Yep, Dont freak out, just like WallTenters said, simple dominant genes are easy to breed out because they cant hide like recessive genes, once you dont see them anymore, then you know they have been bred out.

Your results are typical though like I said if your roo was pure single comed and the hen was pure rose comed, then you would get all 100% rose combed chicks, but they only have one copy of Rose comb, and thats what you said you got. So breed the hens of those back to your SC roo and you will get more single combs as half of the offspring should be pure single combed.

What color are the chicks though, You say your roo is Isabel, So this is Duckwing Isabal aka Lav diluted BBRed ???? And your bred him to Blue Wheaten hen ? Then you should have gotten regular BBReds and Blue Reds, all carrying one copy of lav. But you said you wanted to breed the black pullets back to him and you shouldnt have gotten black pullets, unless you mean black patterned as in regular BBRed colored ones ????

yes... i'm going to breed back all of the black pullets to the roo... most of them came out blue's like the mom but not wheatons... i guess birchens like him... he's an isabella birchen... she's a blue wheaton... so i'm holding back the isabella birchen hens then... that will give me some isabella birchens like the dad right...?

cool... thanks for putting it in words i can understand... HAHAHAHA...

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

yes... i'm going to breed back all of the black pullets to the roo... most of them came out blue's like the mom but not wheatons... i guess birchens like him... he's an isabella birchen... she's a blue wheaton... so i'm holding back the isabella birchen hens then... that will give me some isabella birchens like the dad right...?

Do you mean isabel birchen or isabel brown Red ? Does he have silver colored neck and shoulder feathers or gold ? Either way, with him being the roo and if thats the color you are wanting then it doesnt matter since he is the roo and the pullets will be the same color as he is as far as being silver or gold. So yes breed your black patterned pullets back to him and you should get at least some of what you are wanting. Half should be Single combed, half of those should have Lav and be the color of the roo.

9. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:yes... i'm going to breed back all of the black pullets to the roo... most of them came out blue's like the mom but not wheatons... i guess birchens like him... he's an isabella birchen... she's a blue wheaton... so i'm holding back the isabella birchen hens then... that will give me some isabella birchens like the dad right...?

Do you mean isabel birchen or isabel brown Red ? Does he have silver colored neck and shoulder feathers or gold ? Either way, with him being the roo and if thats the color you are wanting then it doesnt matter since he is the roo and the pullets will be the same color as he is as far as being silver or gold. So yes breed your black patterned pullets back to him and you should get at least some of what you are wanting. Half should be Single combed, half of those should have Lav and be the color of the roo.

well, he doesn't have the birchen chest pattern... he has creme colored neck, hackle (the back feathers right?) and the shoulder, but not the tip of his wing... so does that mean he's a crowing...? i was told birchen... but i dunno... i thought it was a crowing at first, but i can't argue with the BYC gurus LOL...

10. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I really dont remeber what crow wing is but hes probaby birchin, if he has colored hackle (hackled feathers are the neck feathers), shoulder, and saddle feathers ( saddle feathers are the back feathers.) I guess I would need a pic to be sure if hes an isabel and you say the colored areas are cream colored then that is likely lav diluted gold so he would be a Brown Red Isabel, ( Same pattern as a Birchin Isabel, he would just have gold colored feathers instead of Silver)

This is Birchen, http://www.bantychicken.com/OEGBCA/vbirchen.html

This
    is Brown Red http://www.bantychicken.com/OEGBCA/vbrownred.html A Brown Red Isabel would have the black areas diluted to lav and the gold areas diluted to a creme color like you are saying.

But yeah, either way, if the roos color is what you are wanting more of then just breed them like I explained and you will get the RC out soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by