Rosemary passed away last night.

Smitty's Farm

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 24, 2007
St Clair County, Il
I found my sweet RIR, Rosemary dead this morning suspecting it was from internal laying. I think she passed away sometime last night.

She turned a yr old April 11th, so I guess she was about l yr & 4 months old.

She is hatchery chick that I've raised since she was a day old.

I didn't even know she was sick until a few days ago when she failed to coop herself up at dusk w/ the rest of the flock.

I had to run out and get some last min school supplies for my dd and we didn't get back in time to let the flock out for their evening free range time.

I found Rosemary under the ramp that leads to the pop door of the coop from the run. It was so out of character, so I went into the coop to count heads and check on everybody. That's when I noticed some white liquid coming out of her.

I immediately took her inside to get a better look of her. Typically she is not a cuddly girl, but squirmy. She let me pick her up without a struggle and was making some straining noises. She was bloated, so I felt on the outside to see if I could feel if she was egg bound and couldn't fell anything like an egg. She wasn't an over weight girl either like moist eggbound cases. Her butt was poopy w/ something sticking out of it. At first glance I thought maybe it was some of her insides starting to hang out, but after a few warm sit baths I felt it was part of a paper thin egg.

I lubricated her vent with ky, which allowed her to excrete some of the the paper thin shell. I gave her another sits bath, dried her and wrapped her in a towel to hold her for a little while. She excreted some more white liquid, so I took her back upstairs to check her out again in the bathroom.

I put her in a nice quiet dark room inside a cat's carrier for the night in the house. The next morning she had excreted the rest of the paper thin shell, more white stuff and their was a perfect shell-less egg sitting at the back of the crate. I don't know if it was the rest of the inside of the broken egg or if that morning she laid one without a shell??????

I thought she was ok after that b/c her belly wasn't swollen any more, she was so perky & pecking at stuff on the kitchen floor. I scrambled her some eggs and she was hungry, eating, drinking and acting normal. I kept her inside for a little while, but she was staring out the sliding glass door to outside. She seemed fine, so I let her back out to the run w/ the rest of the flock.

I checked on her a few times and she seemed fine. I found her dead in the front corner of the coop this morning. It looks like she was trying to pass another paper thin shell that was cracked. So I don't know if this is internal laying or not. It was defintely some kind reproductive issues.

The weather has been beautiful and mild here the past couple of days and not extreme heat at all.

The day prior to finding her sick I had found a bursted paper thin egg in the coop, like the ones that very new first time layers might lay, so I suspect it was hers.

I was trying to figure out if I needed to have neocropsy done or not.

Rest in peace my sweet Rosemary!

Im sorry about your Rosemary. I have a RIR named Rosemary who hasn't laid in months. I suspect she is an internal layer, just like the two SLWs and my RIR head hen that we lost this year. We did layman's necropsies on them and found lots of egg material inside, like sausage in a casing. Could be that she was an internal layer. Mine that I lost and my Rosemary were all hatchery birds, going on three years old. I have pics of the egg material that builds up, however, some may be sensitive to that. Ill email it to you if you like. I have to open mine up to see what I can tell. All organs were beautiful and healthy except for all that stuff in the tube.

Quote:
Thank you so much Cynthia! I'm sorry for your losses to. I think I remember when one of your sweet SLW pasted from suspected internal laying. Didn't you post a thread w/ pics of the laymans necropsy?

This is my first hen loss. I'm not sure if she has been laying or not b/c she's in a coop w/ 14 other layers. I had 6 RIR in the coop along w/ 4 SLW & 5 EE hens. They are all the same age received at the same time from the same hatchery. I'm just not sure who is laying or who is not. I get an average of 8 eggs a day in the heat of the summer. It's usually a mix from each breed. Sometimes I will get 12, but very very rare to get 15 from all the girls. I have meaning to try to figure out who is or isn't laying.

I have been debating to do the laymans necropsy or not. I guess my question is if this is internal laying? I worry about the rest of the flock. I hope she didn't have anything that the rest of the flock can catch.

I may need you to e-mail the pics. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I suppose if it is internal laying I could do a laymans necropsy myself. I may need some guidance if I do end up doing it.

Thanks,
Kim

I'm sorry about your girl, Kim. Cyn did necropsies on her girls that died of internal laying and if I remember correctly, she took pictures. I'm sure she'd be glad to help you with your Rosemary. :aww

Yes, we did necropsies on all three of my hens, all died of the same thing. Both Lacy and Lorelei, then Ruby. I sent you some pics so you will know what you are looking at if you decide to do this. I saw nothing on any organs at all except that huge sausage-like packed oviduct. I did post Lorelei's necropsy, but I haven't posted Ruby's. Same findings, though.

Smitty's Farm :

I found my sweet RIR, Rosemary dead this morning suspecting it was from internal laying.

Quote:
Odd. Way too odd.

Maybe the name Rosemary has some effect on RIRs.​

So sorry Kim...I saw the title and thought it was Cyn's...oy...

I've noticed with Obelisk when she's getting near moulting time, her shells get very thin...This time she even laid a rubber egg and a trio of wind eggs.

Trying to pass them is such an effort that I think that they strain too much and stroke out...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your girl.

the risk of infection from the egg contents is very high... it can kill real quick.

Cynthia~ Thank you so much for the e-mail pics & info. I've been gone all afternoon and just received them. I have several chicken books, but need to invest in a disease manual. I hope everything is ok w/ your Rosemary.

Environgirl~ I don't know why, but the name Rosemary just seemd to fit a RIR. We have a few more RIR's with spice names. Ginger, b/c of her rusty red color & Clover. We also have Venus & a Mrs. Peckington. Oh yea, we also have one name Me'Ann.

SpottedCrow~Thank you so much. I hope your Obelisk is doing ok.

dlhunicorn~Thank you for the information. I was worried about the egg content and wondering what I should do. What would you suggests if this ever happens in the future?

Back
Top Bottom