Rosemary's Recovery- Is she ok now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abbey21, Jan 26, 2016.

1. abbey21

abbey21 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2016
    Augusta, GA
    Hey! I had a sick maran hen with a respiratory virus that was put on Baytril a week ago. She immediately started looking better and has shown no symptoms for a few days now, although I am still administering the antibiotic. I have two questions: how soon can I begin to introduce her back to the flock? And do I really need to give her Baytril for 2 weeks? I've read others only take the same dosage for 7-10 days. Help please!
    Note- I know to throw out the eggs for the next month : )

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi. Id suggest following the dosage duration as per the instructions as stopping antibiotic treatment prematurely can have disastrous results. If you follow the instructions, then you can re-introduce her immediately thereafter. IMO i would have put the whole flock on the treatment, but id suggest that you monitor your other chickens as in my experience, by the time a human notices a problem in a chicken, its likely to have been harbouring the problem for a little while.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by