Rosie hatched her first babies today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shanda, May 11, 2011.

1. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    I picked up an egg this morning and heard it chirping [​IMG], but I had to go to work [​IMG] . So right when I got home, I rushed in the chicken coop to find two had hatched...it seems they had just hatched. I tried to pick Rosie up like I do every day to give her break, but she just ran back in. While she was out for a second, I saw the second chick was half out of its egg, still wet.

[​IMG]

I also have some babies about a week old from the feed store that I was planning on slipping under Rosie, but I think we changed our mind because we have found that we don't visit the babies as much when they are in the coop and they don't end up being as friendly as the chicks we raise in the garage. Sooooo, we're planning on adding the recently hatched babies after a few days to the chicks in the garage. Any thoughts on that? Will Rosie be too terribly heart broken? If so we could leave a few with her.

2. Singlemaple

Singlemaple Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Merrimack NH
    Very cute [​IMG] i can't wait for the eggs to hatch under my EE they should hatch any day and i am soooo impatient for them to hatch it seems like its been forever!

3. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Sweet! We had one hatch today too! [​IMG] Now waiting to see if the rest will follow... haven't heard any peeping from any of them but that doesn't mean they aren't....

[​IMG]

4. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    i can't wait for the eggs to hatch under my EE they should hatch any day and i am soooo impatient for them to hatch it seems like its been forever!

I know how you feel. I had calculated wrong on these and was expecting them to start hatching yesterday. We went to dinner last night and I took the chicken book with me...looking up how I could have calculated wrong. It turns out I was counting from the day the eggs were laid instead of the day I put them under Rosie. According to that math, they're not actually supposed to start hatching until tomorrow.​

Last edited: May 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by