Rosie not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KareyAnne, Dec 3, 2016.

1. KareyAnne

KareyAnne New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    My eight month old black Cochin has not started laying...but not crowing either, thank goodness, or I would have to re-home. Can't have roosters in my neighborhood. Has anyone encountered this? I raised an Americauna chick at the same time as the Cochin, and that bird has been laying for months.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Pictures? Cochins as a breed are very late in starting to lay. Most of mine started laying at 8-9 months.

3. KareyAnne

KareyAnne New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your reply. Here are pictures of Rosie. Hoping you declare her a pullet.

1 person likes this.
  4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    She's a Rosie. She's still pale in the waddle and comb department so she's still got a ways to go. She's got a nice shape and good heavy feathering on her shanks and feet.

1 person likes this.
  5. KareyAnne

KareyAnne New Egg

Dec 3, 2016
    Thanks so much! What I didn't mention earlier is that Rosie and the other chick I raised together, Trixie, are inseparable. Those birds are always side by side, and it would break my heart to have to break them up.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's not at all unusual for Cochins to not lay until well over 8 months of age. They can be very, very slow to mature.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yep, she's a pretty pullet. I agree from the looks of her comb, she's not at point of lay yet. Cochins are slow to mature, and they're not stellar layers anyway. You probably won't get eggs from her until after solstice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by