Ross Cobb (meat birds) Chicks Help

Conor1979

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
Hi

I have several Ross/Cobb Chicks at about 4 weeks old now. Still under Heat and indoors. They are nearly fully feathered and getting large already. I have a couple of questions.

1) When can they come off heat and start to go outside. I want them to be as free range as possible and not go off their legs as too fat!

2) Any advice on how to feed. They feed all the time which I know is how they have been engineered over time but I think rationing may be healthier and give their legs time to develop.

Any tips greatfully recieved!

Conor - Novice

Non Surgical Clinical Cosmetics

Well, I don't know about the breed specifically but you should concider turning off the heat lamp during days with the chicks and at five weeks you should be able to turn it off completly. After that let them outside every now and then (day) until their fully feathered at which time they can probally go outside as long as there are enough for them to huddle up and keep warm.
I have some five week old bantams who are fine outside all day from seven to four then I bring them in at night where its warmer to sleep and hope to have them permenantely outside by about nine weeks. Your ones might mature faster/slower but it'll be pretty similar timing.

Back
Top Bottom