roster broken/dislocated or just damaged leg

mruser

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 5, 2015
I have a rooster that was attacked by a dog and he is now living in a brooder in the house. He has been in the brooder for the last month and a half. He eats and drinks fine, and he stands on both legs. At one point, he was walking but stood on his own feet and would fall or trip. Now his strong leg is under him like it should be and the bad leg he keeps back when he stands. When he walks he can move it forward but doesn't like to put weight on it and hops and flaps his wings; he stabalizes himself with his wing on the same side like a crutch. When I hold the joint, what seems to be his knee, and slightly squeeze it, I feel something move inside. so I am unsure what is going on. Also when he is laying down he tends to put one foot behind him or both out to the side. He can still curl his toes around things when put on them, but he won't perch, seems to be lack of balance.

any help would be appreaceated

Last edited:
Actually wanted to post again because my two chickens that I posted about, injured not walking - well my young roo is the same as what you describe, one strong leg and one he lays with it in the back, but I have seen him limp on it so it can take weight. Mine was injured two weeks ago and don't think I would have the patience you are having to keep a bird out of the flock that long. :(

This is a weird situation and wonder what others think, if these birds will be able to use the leg.

Well the rest of my flock was killed in the attack. I ended up flipping the rooster over a few days ago and found out that his leg to the body is missing the skin and you can see deep into him. I never saw this on my first inspection because of all the feathers. I'm currently treating him and he is the living in the breeder in my house stil. Other than the walking issue and the wound he is really perky not sure what else I could really do.

Is your rooster healing yet? I still have my two injured chickens, eating and pooping, but not walking or perching, it's been three weeks. I'm thinking about setting their food and water a couple of feet away instead of in front of them. To see if they even try. :(

Hi, sorry for the late response. yes, my rooster has made almost a complete recovery,his walking can use some improvement but i believe there was some muscle damage in his leg. he has a little trouble walking but can keep up with the hens around the run and move up and down the ramp into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom