Roster has been ruff to my hens!

The backs of my hens feathers are pulled out and one is bleeding a little. What should I put on the one that's bleeding and should I separate the roster?
Yes, separate them, at least until the hens heal up a bit.

If you want fertile eggs so you can hatch chicks, you can put each hen in with a rooster to mate, about 2 times each week, and then separate them again-- that will be enough to keep her laying fertile eggs (because hens store sperm to use later), but will mostly prevent further damage.

My original number of roosters to hens for example in my standard coop is 3 roosters, & 11 hens.

But, right now I have 2 roosters, 2 cockerels, & 11 hens in that coop. The cockerels, will be removed from the picture, plus 3 hens.

So soon it'll be 2 roosters, & 9 hens. There's always a cycle. The older hens removed get replaced with younger ones each year.

Rooster damage isn't terrible within my flocks. Usually it's the younger boys, & heavier breeds that end up roughing the hens up in my flock. Usually there's 1-2, occasionally 4 hens with rooster damage(Not in the same coop). When this happens I use hen saddles, & cull anyone who doesn't settle down, or is human aggressive.

This is usually how I manage my flocks of odd numbers.

Back
Top Bottom