Roster shaking his head!?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MotherhenJ, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MotherhenJ

MotherhenJ New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    MA
    I am a first time chicken owner and love my 5 chickens very much. My Brown leghorn rooster recently got frostbite, when the freezing months reached -4 degrees. We kept him inside and put the temp up in the room he was in. We kept the temperature high enough for him to heal, but not to high. Miraculously we saved his comb! But soon after, he started to shake his head around about once an hour. We assumed it was because he was stretching his neck out. (the container we kept him in while he had frostbite was a little to short). But it has been almost 3 weeks now and he still shakes his head around often. He doesn't have any other symptoms. His ears are clean, his vent is clean, and i can't find any mites on him. Please tell me why he is doing this! Is their a vaccine? Will he get better? what is the treatment? Do i treat all the birds? How do i prevent this from happening again? Thanks so much!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MotherhenJ, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! X2 on the advice of willowbranch! Good luck to you and your rooster!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] willowbranch gives good advice.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Frostbite isn't exactly an issue for my birds, so I'm no help at all. But surely someone here can help you. Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by