Roster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 78Vette, Apr 7, 2012.

1. 78Vette

78Vette Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Stuarts Draft Va,
    I just want to know if it is good to have a roster. I will have 18 hens and I think I should have a roster with them. My wife said no but I say yes. What do yall think?

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I vote yes.

3. Shane17

Shane17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    I'm not sure about having a roster but I would suggest a rooster![​IMG]

4. 78Vette

Mar 25, 2012
    Stuarts Draft Va,
    Yeah sorry about my spelling. I think so aswell.

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    that's been my question too. initially i had no intention of having a rooster, but the longer i had my chicks, the more i thought about it. all my potitial roosters along w/all but four potential hens were killed by my dog. a little later i bought 5 chicks - but i don't seen signs of a rooster in any except maybe one black australorp.
    i want a flock that self sustains so that i'm not buying chicks. i want the mamas to take care of their own babies. i'm doing dual purpose so the roosters would end up as food except for the one i would keep as daddy for the bunch.

6. 78Vette

Mar 25, 2012
    Stuarts Draft Va,
    So the next thing is what benefits of having a rooster around, and should I keep him with my girls all the time?

7. Shane17

Shane17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Well in theory the rooster should keep a eye out for his hens.. Alert them to danger locate food...etc... Also pro-create. I do not have a rooster..I believe i would get tired real quit of all the racket and noise that comes with him. [​IMG]

8. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I've been wondering also if I should get a roo. I had not been planning on having one for a few reasons. Then I realized, my neighbour 2 doors away (about 400' away) have a few roos and they free range their chickens during the day in the nicer weather. They tend to come to nextdoor to me (about 50' away from where my coop will be). I am not planning on ranging my girls this year at all but, I was hoping I could in future years. Now, as I sit and think of it, I am worried the roos down the road will come and abscond with my girls to add them to the harem over there.

Is this actually a concern? Should I look at getting a roo this year? wait until I range them? Not worry about it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by