Rosters Fighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dustieburk, Sep 12, 2014.

1. I have two rosters and the keep fighting . I know they do that because they are figuring out who is the boss , but is there any way to stop them from doing that ?Or should i just sell one . I know I sound dumb . Thanks for the info .

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    How many hens do you have? And just 2 roosters, or more? Are they in coop all day, or do they have a run, or free range?

3. They are in a coop . I hve about 10-15 hens . Haha not shure i would have to count them.

4. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I have a bunch of chickens and a bunch of roosters. The rule of thumb that I was taught is 1 rooster to 10 hens unless they are in breeder coops. That being said, I had 17 roosters hatch out of my last batch (21 total hatch[​IMG]) My roosters fight some, but only for a second when I let them out to free range, or feed them. If they are constantly fighting, drawing blood, or causing injury to each other (or others), you may have to rehome the weaker rooster. Or you could put one in a crate for now and try to reset the pecking order.

5. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    It is better to just separate the two other then rid of one.Roosters can learn to fet along

6. I got rid of all but one so no more problems thanks for all the comments .

7. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Good deal. I have a question about your avatar. Does the chick in your avatar have wry neck?

8. She did that when she was little she did it when she was looking at you and when she drank now she is bigger and now she only does it when she drinks. I named her sunshine because she would look at the heat lamp and sometimes at the sun. But i don't know why she does it.

9. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    That's crazy. Maybe she is double jointed!!! LOL! Never seen anything like that. Just looked like wry neck. Glad it's not[​IMG]

10. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Are you sure their fighting?
    They could be sparring..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by